Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Oh, the Cheese is Included?

This Saturday Sami and I went to a wine tasting with some South African friends we've made, Natasha, Neeties, Fafa and Nian. Sami woke me up at my usual hour, noon, and like always I had about 15 minutes to get ready. I've gotten used to this by now and have really mastered the art of "sloppy-chic," so it wasn't a big deal. Nian was sweet enough to pick us up, and after we all piled in the car we were on our way to the first vineyard, Fairview. Here is their website if you want to check it out some more: http://www.fairview.co.za/.

Me, Fafa and Neeties inside doing the wine tasting. It was all so good! My personal favorite was the Pinotage, which is a type of wine signature to South Africa. It started in 1925 as a cross between Pinot Noir and Cinsaut, but now it's 100% awesome. They were running a special for 2 for 1 bottles so I snagged a few. What kind of tourist would I be to not support the local economy?

Sami and I playing with the goldfish outside

Fafa and I waiting by the car. Look at that view! I'm so in love with this place!

Fairview also has a complementary cheese tasting when you participate in the wine tours, and I would love to show you pictures but unfortunately Neeties and I devoured all of the cheese before we could take any. Umm..woops!

At the next winery, who's name I can't remember at the moment, we planned on having lunch, but something went wrong so that didn't happen. Sami and I actually have no idea why, because everyone was speaking in Afrikaans at about a million words a minute, so we just smiled and went along with everything. We did, however, buy an awesome bottle of wine and have a great conversation on the patio!

Nian and Natasha

Everyone knows wine builds strong muscles, duh!

Neeties and Sami

After the wine tastings, Sami and I went with Natasha and her family to watch her play netball! I could try to explain it but I feel like I wouldn't do the sport justice at all, so if you're interested here's some more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netball

Natasha is so good, she plays on the team for the Western Province (it would be like playing for your entire state back in the US) so it was really fun to watch! I wish we had netball in the states because it looks like a ton of fun, and a killer workout!

No comments:

Post a Comment