Thursday, March 24, 2011

Vine Hoppin'

On Saturday, the 12th, I got the best care package ever..Wyatt came to Africa! Sam is a trooper and woke up at 8:00 with me so we could head to the airport and wait for Wyatt. After a bit of confusion with the driver I hired to take us, we were headed to Cape Town International Airport! The entire drive there I kept grabbing Sam's hand and screaming because I was SO excited to see a familiar face for the first time in two whole months.

When we got to the airport we did a bit of shopping (I can't resist no matter where I am), found a Subway and freaked out about how great it was to see American food, and eventually made our way to the International Arrivals gate.

Waiting for Wyatt's plane to land.

At the gate Sam and I met this adorable older woman who was waiting for her sons who now live in London to arrive for a two week visit. She was so cute and talkative so we hung out with her for a while. But, when Wyatt finally came through the gate I completely forgot about our newfound friend, jumped over the barrier (woops!) and ran up to him as fast as I could! I was so excited I totally forgot about airport security. Thank goodness I didn't get in trouble!

I couldn't really contain my excitement. (Nothing new!)

As soon as our driver dropped us off in Stellenbosch we ran to my room, dropped all of Wyatt's bags off, and had to rush back downstairs to catch a ride on the Vine Hopper. The Vine Hopper may be the best idea I've ever heard: you pay R170, which is about $25, and they drive you and your friends around to six different vineyards to do wine tastings. YES PLEASE!

At one of the many vineyards we visited.

I was nervous that Wyatt wouldn't be very into it, but he was such a trooper and we ended up having maybe a bit too much fun.

Sam and Lo took quite a liking to the little guy :)

At one of the wineries we did a wine and chocolate tasting, but got a little confused and ended up having to do it twice. No complaints here!

At one of the last places the waitress pointed us out as an "obvious couple" and presented us with a challenge. It starts with the story of a very wealthy girl who fell in love with a metal worker that her father didn't approve of. Eventually, her dad made a deal with the boy that if he could create a cup that a couple could drink out of where the girl doesn't touch the cup at all and can drink as much or as little as she wants, he would allow the boy to marry his daughter. After telling us the story, the waitress presented us with this cup that looks like a woman holding a basket above her head with a big, full skirt on. The cup works because the boy holds it, drinks out of the skirt, and the girl drinks out of the basket that rotates 360 degrees. Never one to back down from a challenge, both of us decided we would give it a try. I'll give you all one guess as to who won. Yours truly, duh! (He'll debate that he did, but he's lying).


No comments:

Post a Comment